Tridents continue their rise in the Sentinel Homes Premier Hockey League

The Northern Tridents have secured the bonus point with a penalty shootout win in their match against the Central Falcons. After falling behind 2-0 early, the Falcons clawed their way back into the contest as they tied the game up at two goals apiece just before the final whistle. 

The battle of the two undefeated teams in the Sentinel Homes Premier Hockey League took place between the Central Falcons and Northern Tridents. Both sides came out of the gates firing and the quality of play would see an improvement in their combinations from the previous night. A scoreless first quarter ensured as neither team was able to create any significant chances early on in the match. 

The Tridents put themselves in front early in the second quarter when Steph Dickins put a powerful drag-flick into the corner of the goal. The Tridents would then double their lead in moments later when the Falcons were unable to clear the ball from their circle, and Rose Tynan would then jump on the loose ball and flick it into the roof of the goal. 

Entering the second half, the Tridents were continuing to play with confidence and putting the Central Falcons defence under some immense pressure. Almost against the tide of possession, the Central Falcons got themselves onto the scoreboard with a scrappy goal that trickled over the Tridents goal line. 

Entering the final quarter, the Falcons continued to find their footing and started to construct some quality opportunities. With seven minutes to go Michaela Curtis grabbed a rebound off the goalkeeper and slotted home an outstanding shot to tie the game up at two goals apiece. 

For the first time in the Sentinel Homes Premier Hockey League, a match would be decided by a best of three penalty shootout. In the end, it was the Northern Tridents who would take the bonus point behind two penalty corner goals to Rose Tynan. 

Northern Tridents 2 (Steph Dickins 19 min, Rose Tynan 20 min)

Central Falcons 2 (Jessica Kelly 40 min, Michaela Curtis 56 min)

*Tridents won shootout 2-1

The Hauraki Mavericks have battled back from a sluggish start to overcome the Southern Alpiners 3-2. Trailing 2-0 entering the second half the Mavericks stormed back into the contest through some clinical penalty corner attack.  

After tough losses in their opening games, both the Hauraki Mavericks and the Southern Alpiners hit the turf on Saturday playing with great confidence and speed as they looked to put their team in the box seat in the contest. Despite both teams constructing several opportunities in the first quarter, neither side was able to break the deadlock after one quarter. 

The Southern Alpiners would put themselves up early in the second quarter when an outstanding square cross into the circle was expertly touched into the goal by Isabella Ambrosius. Moments later Vantage Black Sticks goalscoring machine Olivia Merry jumped on a loose ball in the circle and powered her shot into the goal to increase the Alpiners lead 2-0. 

After a lacklustre first half, the Mavericks came out with great focus and determination to start the second half. A well-worked set-piece got the Mavericks on the scoreboard when Julia King put in a well-placed reverse stick shot. The Mavericks continued their comeback when they got themselves another penalty corner, this time the shot took a deflection off the Alpiners first runner. 

The Mavericks continued their charge in the second half. They put themselves in the lead for the first time in the competition when Alia Jaques seized her opportunity later in the final quarter roofed her reverse stick shot into the top of the goal. 

Southern Alpiners 2 (Isabella Ambrosius 24 min, Olvia Merry 27 min)

Hauraki Mavericks 3 (Julia King 33 min, Ali Hunt 37 min, Alia Jaques 55 min)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.