Falcons snatch the win in the dying seconds against the Alpiners

The Hauraki Mavericks got their Sentinel Homes Premier Hockey League off to a fantastic start with a convincing 2-0 win over the Northern Tridents. The Mavericks would hit the lead early in the first quarter and then keep the Tridents at bay through the rest of the contest behind a strong defensive effort. 

Only minutes into the match the Hauraki Mavericks got themselves onto the scoreboard when Jacob Soo Choon would broke down the left-hand side of the field and pulled out a ripping a reverse stick shot past the Tridents goalkeeper that put the hometown side in the lead. 

The Mavericks extended their lead midway through the first quarter when Nic Woods surged into the circle driving along the baseline before laying the ball back to the spot for Simon Child to tap in a straightforward goal.

Following the setback of the second goal, the Northern Tridents managed to regroup and started to construct several opportunities themselves. The Tridents went into the halftime break knowing that they had more circle entries than the Mavericks and that they were still within striking distance of the Mavericks entering the second spell. 

The second half would prove to be a tactical battle as the Tridents aimed to get themselves back into the contest as they shifted the Mavericks defence from side to side on the turf. In the end, it was a stoic defence that would deny every Tridents opportunity and seal the four points for the Mavericks. 

Both teams will take a well-earned rest day before returning to the turf on Saturday. 

Hauraki Mavericks 2 (Jacob Soo Choon 1 min, Simon Child 12 min)

Northern Tridents 0

The battle between the Southern Alpiners and Central Falcons has finished with an exhilarating last-second goal from the Falcons to seal an exciting 2-1 win over the Alpiners. The match was a high-quality encounter between two sides who are looking formidable early on in the Sentinel Homes Premier Hockey League.

The first quarter was a tactical match which would see the midfield of both teams playing with some attacking intent as they searched for weaknesses in the opposition defence. The Alpiners were looking resolute on defence and would have better scoring chances in the first quarter however neither side was able to trouble the scorers in a fast-paced and open first quarter. 

The Falcons came out in the second quarter firing and started to put the Alpiners under immense pressure as they searched for the opening goal. In the sixth minute of the second quarter, Jordan Cohen threaded a great ball into the circle to Nick Wilson. Not worried about the Alpiners goalkeeper Wilson avoided the defence and put in a slick reverse shot to put the Falcons up 1-0. 

The highly competitive contest resumed in the third quarter as both sides stepped up the physical play and skill on the pitch. The Falcons would go incredibly close on several occasions to extending their lead. George Enersen was pulling off some clutch saves to deny the Falcons attacking unit and keep the lead at only 1-0. 

The Alpiners continued to persist throwing everything they had at the Falcons defence. With ten minutes to go, the Alpiners were rewarded when a strong baseline drive would see a ball go across the face of the goal to an open Dominic Newman to touch the ball into the goal. 

With time running down quickly in the match the Alpiners would go agonizingly close on several occasions only for the post and the Falcons goalkeeper Dominic Dixon to deny them. The contest seemed to be heading towards a penalty shootout before a miracle behind the back pass from Harry Miskimmin went to a diving Joe Hanks for the winning goal with only two seconds remaining on the clock. 

Southern Alpiners 1 (Dominic Newman 50 min)

Central Falcons 2 (Nick Wilson 21 min, Joe Hanks 60 min)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.