Falcons continue to soar through the Sentinel Homes Premier Hockey League

The Northern Tridents have secured their first points of the Sentinel Homes Premier Hockey League with a come from behind 2-2 draw with the Southern Alpiners. The Tridents would score the bonus point with a shootout win 4-3. 

The Alpiners and Tridents entered their contest on Sunday in search of their first win of the Sentinel Homes Premier Hockey League. The Alpiners were smarting after two last-minute goals cost them points on the previous two days. 

Early on it was the Alpiners who were the aggressors on the pitch. They constructed several scoring opportunities and had the Tridents on the back foot from the get-go. In the sixth minute of the match, the Alpiners would convert their first penalty corner when a Sam Lane drag-flick was too fast for the Tridents goalkeeper. The Alpiners continued to apply pressure on the Tridents defensive line and earned themselves a further two penalty corners. The Tridents were holding on as they continued to stifle the Alpiners attacking threats. 

Starting the second quarter with the same fire of the first, the Southern Alpiners converted an early scoring opportunity when a one-touch pass from Hugo Inglis found an open Sam Lane in the circle who bounced the ball over the Tridents goalkeeper for his second goal of the match. 

Later in the quarter, Sam Huston managed to toe a fine line along the attacking baseline as he juggled the ball and touched it between the legs of George Enersen to bring the Tridents back within striking distance before the halftime break. 

The Northern Tridents came out in the second half looking composed as they continued their charge back into the contest. They would stretch the Alpiners defence on several occasions early in the third quarter. 

Early in the fourth quarter the Alpiners broke down the field through an outstanding Hugo Inglis run. Dominic Newman crashed the ball from Inglis into the circle for a diving Blair Tarrant who wasn’t able to deflect the ball into the goal as the score remained the same. 

With only six minutes remaining in the match, the Tridents levelled the scores when a ball came in across the face of the goal. George Enersen would make the initial save before Sam Houston would grab the rebound and put the ball back into the net. 

For the second time this weekend, the Alpiners went to a penalty shootout to decide the match. The Northern Tridents would seal the bonus point with a 4-3 shootout win for their first points of the Sentinel Homes Premier Hockey League. 

Southern Alpiners 2 (Sam Lane 6, 17 min)

Northern Tridents 2 (Sam Houston 23, 55 min)

The Central Falcons have capped off a perfect weekend with a comprehensive 6-2 win over the Hauraki Mavericks. The Mavericks fought their way back into the match in the fourth quarter only for the Falcons to pull away late and seal the game. 

The Central Falcons came into the contest with the Hauraki Mavericks riding high after earning a maximum eight points from their opening two games. It was the Falcons who would get the first scoring opportunity of the match when they earned themselves a penalty corner. Leon Hayward would gobble up the Jacob Smith flick. 

The Mavericks late in the quarter would get an opportunity of their own through a penalty corner when the Falcons couldn’t stop Simon Child cleanly in the circle. Nic Woods would fake the drag-flick for Simon Child to upright hit. Falcons goalkeeper Dominic Dixon pulled off an outstanding save to keep the score 0-0. 

Late in the first quarter, the Falcons got themselves on the score sheet when Joe Hanks received a great flick into the corner pocket. His bouncing cross ball was deflected into the goal by Sam Hiha for his second goal of the Sentinel Homes Premier Hockey League. 

With time winding down in the first half it was the Central Falcons who would double their lead when a loose ball in the circle rebounded to Mac Wilcox at the top of the circle who would then thunder the ball into the backboard.

With time running down in the third quarter, Stephen Jenness received a long pass, while ensuring his momentum kept going forward would put an outstanding flat reverse across the goal to a lowdown Nick Wilson to touch in his second goal of the match. 

Trailing by three goals entering the final quarter, the Hauraki Mavericks made the brave call to pull their goalkeeper to create an overlap for themselves. They were almost immediately rewarded when they earned themselves a penalty corner. Nic Woods would flick the ball into the goal to make the score 3-1. Only moments later the Mavericks got their second when Matt Rees-Gibbs smashed the ball into the goal to bring the Mavericks within a goal. 

The Falcons regained their composure and with the goal still open Callum Olsen would end up with the rebound and push the ball into the goal. The lead was reestablished as Nick Wilson scored second goal of the contest smashing a reverse into the top of the goal.

The Falcons sealed the win with six minutes to go when they got a penalty corner with still no goalkeeper. Dane Lett flicked it straight down the middle of the goal as the Falcons now had six goals in the match. 

Central Falcons 6 (Sam Hiha 12 min, Mac Wilcox 28 min, Nick Wilson 45, 51 min, Callum Olsen 50 min, Dane Lett 54 min)

Hauraki Mavericks 2 (Nic Woods 48 min, Matt Rees-Gibbs 49 min)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.